Thursday, August 27, 2009

Somethings to consider..

My first post...I think I'm late already.


Justin Lewis - Sustainability, 2008, wood, steel, coal, Plexiglas, spray paint, 6'x6'x6'

For those who haven't seen the final images of my sculpture from last year, here is one.
This year however I think I will be working digitally rather than physically. I am going to work with the same theme though. I am becoming interested in the scale of which civilization grows. While our computers and gadgets are getting smaller, our cities are getting bigger. I want to use technology to digitally determine if a healthy world is possible. I know that sounds confusing and I would post some images that I've been working on and explain more, but I'm going to wait until after my meeting with Tom for all that.

Since I am going to work a lot in Photoshop, I've been looking at some graphic designers and digital artists. One whose work I enjoy is Jody Barton. Though her work is illustrated, I am interested in the way she conveys her message, which has themes related to the ones I am working with. Her work deals with environmental protection but through the scope of the apathy that people have toward making mass change, despite the urgent need to do so.




The work of Brandon Jan Blommaert uses sculpture and digital manipulation for his series of trash monsters where he looks at the growing garbage problem we have through sculptures made of trash attacking fantastical natural landscapes.


1 comment:

  1. the trash monsters are tight!

    I am excited for your project... Even though I try to do my part, I often have the mind set that the world is already fucked.

    ReplyDelete