Thursday, December 3, 2009

Artist Lecture - Amy Hauft


Amy Hauft, Counter Re-formation, 2009
Plywood, canvas, sugar, ABS plastic, polystyrene foam, plaster, epoxy, paint;
32 ft x 27 ft x 35 in

I went to Amy Hauft's talk about her new installation at the Anderson Gallery, Counter Re-formation. The work was based on a Louis XIV banquet table and included sugar sculptures which were supposed to reference times before porcelain when artists would create sugar figurines and sculptures for dessert tables. It also had a tablecloth that seemed perfectly fabricated for the piece. I was disappointed when I found out that it was about . I thought it was an interesting, well crafted sculpture, but I was interested in it for its formal elements and I found the real meaning to be very uninteresting. I had trouble taking anything away from it other than the interesting way that this table was able to seat so many people. The installation also included a stair case for viewers to be able to get a higher perspective to see the whole piece which I thought was cool because it allowed a better view of the strange form of the table. This work is pretty unrelated to mine, but after doing my Sustainability sculpture, I was really noticing the craft and workmanship of this piece.

No comments:

Post a Comment