Saturday, September 26, 2009

Artist - Terry Winters

Today I want to talk about Terry Winters, Tom suggested I look at him in our last meeting and he was right, I do enjoy Winters' work. He was born in New York and has studied art since high school. He received his BFA from Pratt institute in 1971. I like his work for a lot of reasons. It is messy and loose, which adds an element of action to it not just in the way it looks, but the method in which he made it. When painting, I like working quickly as well. It seems to make me work more intuitionally, rather than relying on logic to make the piece 'work'.


Terry Winters,

Much like what I am trying to do, he uses a lot of designs that are taken from nature, patterns that appear to be like those on leaves, or in this one, I see butterfly wings and cocoons.

Terry Winters, Free Union 1883
oil on linen, 79 x 104-1/4 inches


I also enjoy the colors he uses. They tend to be natural and subtle and remind me of color choices I have made in my paintings.
Aside from painting he also does a lot of drawings and lithographs. This series of lithographs appears kind of cosmic to me and I enjoy the patterns created in it.


Terry Winters, Tokyo Notes, 2004
Set of 9 lithographs with title and colophon pages
Edition of 30
Image/Sheet size: 22 1/2 x 30 1/4 inches each

No comments:

Post a Comment