Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Thursday research post

When looking at Sebastien Lemms work, I read that he is informed by some ideas of Romanticism. I looked into this some and found that I too am interested in some the ideas of Romanticism such as that of the sublime. I have been referring to my work as Eco-art however, after further research I believe it may also have correspondence to the ideas of Neo-Romanticism. Another artist whose work is considered Neo-Romantic as well as Eco-art is Andy Goldsworthy. I have always been very interested in his work.

A collection of works by Andy Goldsworthy

I think Neo-Romanticism s important to consider because many of it's ideas correspond to my work. I feel a sense of belonging to and attachment with nature and want to share this in my work. I think some of Neo-Romantic themes are present in my work as well such as (what I feel to be) utopian landscapes. I'm also considering imagery of nature reclaiming our environment. I've also got some books about cities as ecosystems and how cities and urban development are related to the environment. I think these could give me some inspiration about how I can depict cities integrated with the environment.
To further my understanding of some ideas of Neo-Romanticism, especially the aesthetics of it, I have found some writings of Arthur Schopenhauer. His philosophical work on aesthetics is considered to be of great importance to Neo-Romantic thought.

1 comment:

  1. I find this to be the most appropriate spot for this. Check out Beth Dow. She makes beautiful platinum- palladium prints discussing "man's rude intrusion" they quietly speak about environmental issues. Specifically Field Work, and Ruins I think would apply to your work this semester. Ruins explores the dilapidated classical structures intertwining with roller coasters and scaffolding. www.BethDow.com

    ReplyDelete