Saturday, October 10, 2009

Artist - Alex Grey

Today I want to talk about Alex Grey. His work is very spiritual and psychedelic. There is something oddly familiar about it; it seems he has tapped into something universal, so that you almost physically experience his paintings as a manifestation of something that you might have imagined, but not understood. Despite the fact that his work is surreal or even abstract, it still has a sense realness, it seems like it represents systems that really 'work'. His work transcends space and time with its depiction of earthly elements as they are connected to a different dimension or plane of existence which humans operate in but are not readily sensitive to. He has been shown worldwide and his work is similar to Abdul Mati Klarwein's. His work has been featured on the album covers of several musical artists, I like that this type of work is being used in correlation with music, it's kind of like what I am doing.

I enjoy his work for the patterns he creates, and how he uses them to indicate an unending growing and interweaving of creation. It's kind of what I want to do, perhaps I will employ similar techniques in making my video work, but I wouldn't want to go too psychedelic, out of fear of be written off as some kind of acid art. I also don't want it to be considered 'sacred' as Grey's work is often referred to as. But it does give me ideas for ways to go about composing my videos.

I especially like this one, as it depicts the balance of earth. It represents how human destruction of the environment disturbs the homeostasis of the planet and is created out of a small illusion that is merely a part of the vast whole. As in much of his other work it also suggests the cyclical nature of the universe.

1 comment:

  1. Sarah suggested I look him up and I loved his work too. It's awesome.

    ReplyDelete