Saturday, March 6, 2010

Idea #10 - 3.4.10 - Back to color fields

While thinking of ways to present my work, keep coming back to a sort of color field approach to my image arrangement. The way that I am working is similar to color field painters in that there is a great importance in relationships between colors, image qualities, space, and size, but instead of working in one canvas, I will be composing installations of multiple images. I am imagining each instrument as having it's own image and then arranging them in accordance to their presence in the song. I will be kind of mapping out a song like I've always been doing, but now I feel like instead of presenting everything in a song in one image, I am more free to explore how different elements can interweave with one another. The images will be composed based on the feeling of an instrument, like a trumpet would be an image of something bright, tight, sharp and exciting. If it is a trumpet solo, or the trumpet is the prominent instrument in the song, the image may be big or may span the whole composition, but maybe the trumpet just adds little accents throughout the song; then there might be multiples of the same image and would be small and placed throughout as visual accents to other images. Rhythm is important but may not stay exact to the song, instead it will be built based on an overall rhythm in a song, not on individual beats as my work was before.

No comments:

Post a Comment