Thursday, March 11, 2010

Idea #12 - 3.11.10 - Loosining my noose

From my critique I feel like the most important thing I could do is loosen up the way that I make my finished work. I am imaging 'playing' my images. I need a method that allows me to juxtapose my imagery more through feeling. Almost like painting or playing an instrument in the way that you can quickly morph and change a piece by feeling the brushstrokes/note combonations. I kind of like the idea of collage because it kind of can have this property, especially if I were to do it by hand. I think a touch of hand working might be beneficial to my work. However, I don't know how I feel about the aesthetics of collage, and I think the idea of a musical process could be pushed more too. I also have been thinking of moving away from photography, using it only as documentation and focusing more on materials. I think I spoke earlier about my peanut-butter hammock. I think this has the problem of using it's own language but I'm starting to feel like I am having trouble understanding what language could be used other than that.

On a completely different topic, going back to something I started working on the beginning of last semester. I just had the idea of creating a large scale photo of a pretty landscape or something natural and put it on the floor, dividing the space. How would viewers react to it? Would they jump over it? How long before people are stepping on it? I feel like it presents the idea of nature as an obstacle. Do they treat it like an inconvenient piece of art? Or do they destroy it just to pass by? Maybe the big question is would it make them angry or would they appreciate it? Of course this would have to be with the permission of my fellow students because people would have to jump(or just walk) over my piece to get to some of theirs.

No comments:

Post a Comment