Friday, April 2, 2010

Idea #16 - 4.1.10 - A few ideas

Up until my meeting with Paul, I hadn't really been looking ahead and didn't realize that panel review was so near, so I've been trying to get some ideas for new work for my portfolio. I've got a few that I like and will be executing today. Something else that I've been doing is when I'm listening to music I will watch TV on mute just to see what kind of random music/imagery associations can be made. It has proven interesting and often comedic but hasn't yielded any good ideas though.
One idea I want to do is a piece to be entitled "Microphone Recording Camera Recording Microphone" it will be a photograph to go along with a sound recording entitled "Camera Recording Microphone Recording Camera" It will consist of a photograph of a microphone, and an audio recording of the length of the shutter of the camera photographing the microphone. It will be a long exposure to allow for the sound recording to have some presence to it. The good thing about this is I don't think you necessarily need the sound recording so the image can stand alone in my portfolio.
I also had some other things that I've done this year that I wanted to include in my portfolio, but are somewhat unrelated to the bulk of my other work which is based on music. I am still thinking about if I want to do this or not. If I don't then that is more new work I have to produce, but if I do I may risk a lack of cohesiveness throughout my portfolio. One of these pieces would be my "Don't Look At This Piece", the gallery version of "Don't Talk About This Piece" which was an idea I had for a work that was to be viewed in a critique environment. To bring this piece into the area that the rest of my work is in, I was thinking that I could just tack "Listen To It." on the end so the piece would be "Don't Look At This Piece, Listen To It." This changes the meaning of it a lot, but I kind of like what it does to it. It creates a conundrum, and I think it still has the effect of heightening the viewers senses by asking the viewer to attempt to do something senseless. I also like it because it kind of sets the table for the rest of my work.
If anyone is reading this, please give me your thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment