Monday, April 12, 2010

Idea #18 - 4.8.10 - Some new pieces

Lately I've been working on a few new things that are a little different than what I had been doing, but I feel like they are working. One of the ideas was this one,

Tree Sounds, Justin Lewis, 2010

I am not sure if I am happy with the image yet, I couldn't quite work it out, the way I had it in my head, but I do like the way the lines work together in it. I feel like this piece is dealing with ideas that I was working with last semester, about nature and it's importance, but it goes with my current work because it is also about sound and listening. I like that it is kind of humorous or absurd and lightly begs the viewer to 'listen' to nature.

Another idea that I have executed is this piece, Three Waves (Light, Water, Sound). This one feels like the most successful, in it I have taken a speaker box, covered the speaker holes with bags of water filled half way, shined a light through the back and placed a woofer speaker in the back of the enclosure. The speaker has the effect of creating subtle ripples in the water that change depending on the frequency of the sound. I really like the glowing effect it has, the interaction between the smoothness of the bags of water and the texture of the box. I suppose this piece is a sound sculpture, so I should have shot a video of it to show it's full effect.


Three Waves (Light, Water, Sound), Justin Lewis, 2010


Three Waves (Light, Water, Sound) Justin Lewis, 2010


Three Waves (Light Water Sound)(detail) Justin Lewis, 2010

And I have done another piece called "Rocking Speaker"



Rocking Speaker, Justin Lewis, 2010
Basically it is a speaker on a pole stand rocking back and forth to ambient or minimal music. This piece is also a sculpture but can be shown as video as well. In fact, it should be shown as a video at this point because I haven't figured out a way to make the stand rock for an extended period of time on its own. The stand is built a little off balance so if I just give it a little push it will rock for a while, but to install it as a sculpture in a gallery I would need a way to keep it rocking. It would be cool if I could control this by the tempo of the music, but I will have to do some research to figure out if that is possible. I sort of discovered this piece on accident when I made the speaker stands for my studio. The sheet metal I used for the base is a little too thin so it curved a little when I welded it so now, while it still supports the speakers, it is easily rocked with a push.

No comments:

Post a Comment