Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Idea #2 - 2.4.10 - Snow


I am interested in the ephemeral and the transient, and the snow has provided me a good means of exploring this. The snow falls and melts over time(at least in our part of the world), and can visually bears a resemblance to sound as well. For example Wassily Kandinsky said that the color white represented silence, but a silence full of hope, like a break in a song or the time between songs on an album. In a photograph of the snow, the shape of the tremendous white negative space becomes the subject of the photograph, I am going to work on a song that is more about what you don't hear than what you do. Not in the way John Cage's "4:33" looks at silence as music, but rather to compare the negative space of the photograph with music dealing with negative space, or white noise. The tones of the music will emerge from the ambiance as the snow-shielded dark areas emerge from the blanket of snow. I imagine soft music of an ambient style. My only problem with this is the lack of color variety, I see some reds and blues, but that doesn't give me much to work with musically. Of course, I do want this to be a minimal song, but I will use Photoshop's color-picker to see if there are any more subtle hues that I can derive a musical scale from.

No comments:

Post a Comment