Saturday, February 20, 2010

Idea #6 - 2.18.10 - Tryin to think outside the frame

During my individual meeting with Paul, we discussed how I could bring my photography to have the same impact as my music. He suggested that I try to ignore what I think the rules of photography are and use imagery in any way I can to get the effect I want. Some ideas I have been working with are multiple images that together can created a mood or scenario, not just in their content but in their arrangement, repetition, and colors. However, I am afraid that this language may brush too close to what a movie or music video is. It is still a bit unclear to me as to how I can really build a strong relation to the music in this way without becoming too much like a music video. I think perhaps the difference is that I believe that qualities of music can be captured in still imagery, I just need to find an effective way of communicating this. I also want to toy with how music changes the context of an image. For example an innocent image may become sinister in combination with ominous music, and then may change back to playful with a happier tune or vice-versa. And although I know the language I have created of connecting colors to musical notes seems to be inaccessible, I still want to incorporate it. Griffin suggested that I use a sort of key in my artist statement, which I think would be helpful in understanding my work.

No comments:

Post a Comment