Saturday, November 14, 2009

Artist blog - John Cage


11 Stones, 1989, dimensions and medium unknown
Where There Is Where There Urban Landscape No. 19, 1987-89, dimensions and medium unknown


Variations III no. 14, 1992, dimensions and medium unknown


Today I want to talk about John Cage. He was an artist, poet, philosopher, composer, and music theorist, best known for his experimental music compositions. His most famous piece is 4:33, which consists of 4 minutes and 33 seconds of silence, where the sounds of the atmosphere and reactions of the audience become the piece. I chose to talk about him because I always thought 4:33 was really interesting and when I found out that he also works in the visual arts i was intrigued. I really enjoy the textures in his paintings, they feel soft and weightless but with dark undertones, it really seems to compliment his music. It's almost like what I've been doing, but instead of him connecting the music to the images, I am seeing relationships in his work on my own. Some of his music compositions are a bit strange for me but I definitely a lot of it like the link I have below. Many of his compositions are based on the I Ching book of changing events, which I think is very interesting. He refers to music as "an affirmation of life – not an attempt to bring order out of chaos nor to suggest improvements in creation, but simply a way of waking up to the very life we're living" I thought this was an outstanding explanation and is something I think can apply to visual art as well. I was also interested to find that one of his teachers was Arnold Schoenberg, I have some of his compositions and I really enjoy his style as well.

Here is a link to some of his musical work. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Cage-cheap-imitation-exceprt.ogg

No comments:

Post a Comment