Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Research blog - sound perception



I've been looking at some of the ways people perceive sound and something I've come across that I found interesting was ideas about absolute and relative pitch. Absolute, or perfect pitch, is someones ability to make a note on command, like if you were to ask them to sing a G note, they would be able to do it without hearing the note first. Basically the ability to recognize a note and name it. It is a rare ability and many say that it cannot be learned, or must be learned at a very young age. On the other hand there is relative pitch which is more common and can be intrinsic or learned through training. This is the ability to recognize relative differences between notes. I think I have relative pitch because when playing music, I play by ear but I could not name a tone that was given to me. I've been recording a lot of music lately and something else I found interesting was the impact the room has on a recording as far as acoustics and reverberation is concerned. I also found that there are digital ways of correcting some of the problems caused by not recording in a perfectly balanced sound booth. This will be something to look into for improving the quality of my recordings except when it comes to these sort of things there are a lot of extremely technical things that I know nothing about but am slowly trying to teach myself. It is a complex science/art. Here is a graph of an uncorrected wave vs. a digitally corrected one. Since my apartment is not a perfect recording studio this could prove useful in cleaning up my recordings if I can figure out the program for it.


No comments:

Post a Comment