Saturday, November 21, 2009

Artist Blog - Piet Mondrian

Broadway Boogie Woogie, Piet Mondrian, 1942-1943 oil on canvas


Piet Mondrian, Tableau 2, 1922, 0il on canvas, 22x21



Mondrian, Piet
Composition A: Composition with Black, Red, Gray, Yellow, and Blue
1920
Oil on canvas
91.5 x 92 cm (36 x 36 1/4 in)

Today I want to talk about Piet Mondrian. He was brought up during my critique as being similar to what I am doing. Like my work, his work is influenced by music, jazz in particular. Also like myself his work was also an exploration of his spiritual beliefs. However, other than his musical influences and spiritual interest, I don't really see how these are really visually like my work, other than the use of structure and blocks of color. I feel like it is more about order and spiritual ideas rather than musical ideas. I don't think my work could be classified as De Stijl either, I think of it more as color fields. I enjoy Mondrians work, but I find it strange that he was mentioned because I don't really see it as musical and it wasn't an influence in the creation of my work.

No comments:

Post a Comment